For the last time, hi everyone!
So this is the final week for the Mermaid River project, and as it stands this week has mostly been about polishing already existing stuff.
Or at least that is what I would have said if I was not pretty much finished with everything I had been assigned to make as all the polish needed were done last week.
But does that mean that I have nothing to talk about? Of course not, a game project is never fully done, it just meets the end date and then has to be released.
So what does one do at a time like this? Near the end of a game project the team always runs the risk of not having what they create be included into the final game. Either it is deemed unfinished, unneeded or the team runs out of time to implement the element. It is the sad truth, but that is the way things can go sometimes. But enough about that. So, what have I been doing?
Sometimes there are things that needs to be changed overall. One this is that I finished the design for the Super Harpoon item that I talked about last week, and it ended up like this:
Yes, it is a combination of design 5 and 15 (I did the design and lineart, not the coloring).
The result come forth as we sat and discussed as a team the designs I had made to which one would be used. The results were varied as everyone liked different designs. So what I did was I took different elements from the designs that got the most votes, which resulted in three different designs.
The team all liked the tentacle themed design and a majority of the votes fell on design 3, 9 and 16. So I decided to combine the two and see how it turned out. Everyone was for the idea, so we went along and finished it. Perhaps we should have shown the designs to other people and let them vote for the design, but now the things are the way they are and I personally feel that it works out well in the long run 🙂
So, now onto some actual design insight, who would have thought?
There were discussions of some different kinds of foods. Everything from worms to fish flakes were discussed (mostly quick ideas being thrown around). As we were dealing with crazed and probably meat and flesh eating fish (the Pirateanhas especially) and the fact that you are killing fish by more or less ripping them open using a sharp harpoon I thought that fish meat chum would fit pretty well.
(Once again, I only did the design and lineart, not the coloring (I am not one to steal credit from others :P))
Well, design might be an over-exaggeration, but when it comes to implementing something from the real world into an interprative piece of art such as video games one has to take some liberties and decide upon certain things.
I wanted the chum to looks as slimy and non specific as possible, but still grainy and in chunky pieces of fish. To make it like this I got a bit more freehanded with my line strokes. By mixing up thick and thin lines in a more or less random way in not so straigh lines you too can create something look mushy and non-desirable.
As a finishing touch to add to the grossness and fishy-ness of the chum I added in a fish bone that as the chum gets spread out in the water the bones slowly goes down along the chunks that it is attatched to.
Well then, sorry that this last post of mine was not that interesting or special for a final weeks and final thoughts (kinda) one, but the most interesting thing that I did this week is being kept a secret to everybody. So I hope that you like what you see at the end of our game, if you can get there that is 😉
We are not really meant to write a blog post next week, but I just might anyway to give some insight into why and how I along with my team created the final art asset for the game.
Well then, to each and everyone out there, best of luck with finishing your projects and I am more than looking forward to seeing everything in action tomorrow! Happy crunching! 😀