Group 4 – Mermaid River Blog Post #4

Hoowee! Back up in the saddle I go because this week I am getting stuff done again!

The last two weeks I feel like I have not made much progress due to sickness, personal reasons and a forced trip to Berlin to celebrate my dad’s 51th birthday (yeah, poor me, right) To make up for this I’ve turned up my working capacity to 11. I’ve managed to finish all school work we have so far as well as finializing the design of our Pirateahna enemy that was roughed out by the others, planned and created 5 animations and even tried clean lining one of them!

So in preperation for the beta we needed a few new enemies to give the player some more challenges, because right now just having an enemy that goes mostly forward is pretty easy to avoid, especially as you only have to stay at the top of the screen to basically avoid all enemies as well as keeping your health at maximum. Sure, the player have to go down if they want to collect points, but if the main point is seen as just getting to the end of the level, just avoiding everything would be the optimal strategy, and that’s no fun.

So what enemies did we choose and why? In the original document there were perticular enemies that were quite different from the Swordfish enemy, and those are the pirate pirahna “Pirateahna” and the pirate jellyfish “Jelly Roger”. So to mix up the challenges a bit more those enemies seemed to be the perfect candidates. However the jellyfish was basically a mindless floaty version of the pirahna, so we changed it to a projectile based one that shoots as Skip, making it one of the more differing challenges in the game.

So now more on the animations, this week I have included multiple parts of the animation process. So we have the enemy designs given to me, my first drawings of said enemy, shape animations, sketched animations, some clean lined animations as well as some animations in action!

First off we have the design for the pirahna rough design that was sent to me.

So with this rough design I could create a design more akin to the rest of the game. I went over the notes that were given to me by the others, what parts of the designs were most important as well as a final decision for how the enemy would work. It goes up and down in a mindless manner trying to bite everything that’s in front of it. Going off of this I knew that the most important aspect of the design had to be the face and jaw.

So here we see some sketches made for a more finalized version of the pirahna enemy. The original sketches that I made have not been scanned however, but these ones basically reflect those. A lot of the designs I feel looked more like the faces of crocodiles or aligators rather than a pirahna, thanks to the shifting teeth as well as the fact that I made the face a bit too long with the jaw being a bit too small. With these sketches you can also see more of some rough planning for the animations. Some things were deemed not necessary when it actually came to the animation, but that’s par for the course little buddy, par for the course.

Next up we have the shape animation planning for the animation alongside the sketched out versions ready to be linearted.

As I have talked about in earlier blog posts these shape animations that I make really allows you to quickly check if the animation will look like it is going to work or not. To really make the jaw stand out and to make it look big and sturdy I drew it as a big block that connects to the body. It is the one shape that is different from the rest of the design, whereas it is mostly made up of triangles. The face, the eyes to extent, the body and fin all share the triangular shapes. As soon as the shape animations were done and looked good all I had to do was sketch out the lines more exact on top of them so that it corresponds to the design, which also goes a lot faster due to the shapes showing most of what is there. I added some shadows to when the fin goes away from the screen to quickly and easily show more depth.

Lastly, as I have not been able to finish all of them, here we have the first frame of the swimming animation linearted.

I decided to put some color in to hide the face that some of the lines go through one another between the upper jaw area with the lower jaw area as well as the “brow” and the pirate hat 😛 This will also make it easy for the color artist to get some of the local colors down as you only have to choose the colored layer and then fill with the wanted color. If you have problems with filling with the bucket tool what I do is that istead of drawing the outline for the fill with a brush I draw it with a pen instead which leaves no dirty pixels around the edges.

The animated version is the featured image of this post, so just look at that one to see what this boils down to.

Hopefully I can keep the pace up in the future, I am learning so much and I hope that the rest of you do as well! Take care you guys, best of luck, have fun and I’m looking forward to seeing your betas! 😀